Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Morality for Toddlers

Yesterday I found myself trying to explain Spiderman's Law to my nearly-2 year old daughter Luna.  It's harder than you think, breaking down the concept for a toddler....I couldn't manage it.  I couldn't explain it in a way that she seems to understand, but I'll keep trying.

This is a lesson I fear Luna may need to learn and re-learn a few times, as she's....a bit.... tempestuous.  She is a very assertive little girl with an invincibility complex and a sense of entitlement, and my goal is to encourage her to rise above her immediate Hulk Smash! rage responses.  The worst thing I could ever imagine one of my children growing up to be is a bully, and I won't have it.  Strong is good.  Over-emotional is acceptable.  Wanting to oppress others is not. 

Anyway, I'm rambling.  This was meant to be a short post.  I was just observing her in her natural environs and thinking about it.  So far, there is a bare-bones "morality" that I see manifesting in my toddler - I think there is a special very basic pattern of moral learning that is forming in her little brain.  I suspect there may be similarities in other toddlers, but frankly I hardly leave the house so my view of the world @ large is limited.  :)

Luna's Code of Honour:
  1. Don't make people cry - by hitting, usually.  (it's mean.)
  2. Don't take toys from other people who are playing with them.  (it's selfish and may result in breaking rule #1)
  3. Don't spit chewed up food on the floor.  (it's rude and gross.)
It turns out that I can't really think of any other "moral" rules that she's starting to follow.  And I often think that these few moral codes she follows aren't followed because she understands and *wants* to be nice, but just because she knows I'm serious about them. 

I've tried to teach her the golden rule, and about karma, but her brain doesn't seem to grasp these complex ideas yet, and that's fine, I guess.  I don't mind keeping her in check until she's able to act kindly on her own.  For now I'll take what I can get, and just keep her from biting other kids.  :)

What moral rules do you see @ work in your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment