Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Good Mom

Okay, so I know that I started this blog because I hated how fake it felt to post pics of our occasional awesome crafts or outings and make like I'm just that good all the time, but I think Jeni's right. Sometimes you've just gotta toot your own horn because baby, there aren't many other people out there who will.

On Sunday, as part of DH's birthday present, I took the kids to the zoo for the day. Eight hours at the zoo during mating season. Just envision that for a moment.

Anyway. While we were there, my 4-y-o daughter (let's call her Mischief) found a bent stick and proclaimed that it looked exactly like a giraffe's head, and she wasn't wrong. Now, I'm pretty sure I had sunstroke, and I hadn't had much sleep the night before - the boy, 2.5, code name Trouble, has his 2 year molars coming in and hasn't slept properly for weeks. So Mischief showed me her stick and in a fit of madness I offered to help her make it into a whole giraffe once we got home and had access to our craft supplies.

Here's my bad mom confession for this post; I say that kind of crap all the time and almost never actually do it. My intentions are good, but my memory and time management skills suck. Poor Mischief has been promised kite-making so many times, and the one time I actually got my act together enough to do it, we made them only to find that we had no string, and the kites were ruined before I managed to get some. (I still haven't found a store that sells kite string without a kite attached to it.) And I've promised Trouble that we'd play bubbles after nap so many times that he's finally taken it upon himself to break into the cupboard where the bubble solution lives and just do it without me.

But giraffe! This time I came through, and Mischief is so happy. I had her colour the toilet paper roll, and then hot-glued the rest of the pieces into place as per her instructions. She hasn't named him yet, but tomorrow is her show and tell day, and he'll be making the trip to JK in her backpack. I feel a little bit like a hot-glue hero.

4 comments:

  1. so adorable. good mommy, have a cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wasn't wrong at all. That stick totally looks like a giraffe head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!! And we found it near the giraffe enclosure. Coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the giraffes have obviously learned both idolatry and carving tool usage.

    ReplyDelete