Friday, April 27, 2012

Keep it secret, keep it safe

In a hushed and horrified whisper, my mom once related to me how her mother (my grandmother) used to buy chocolates and hide them from her children so she didn't have to share.  I remember my mom being so indignant at the thought that Nan would keep something so delicious for herself, and at the time, my mind was so focused the incredible injustice of being denied chocolate that I'm sure I just made a disgusted "I can't believe she'd do that" noise and the conversation continued.

Now though,  all these years and two children later, I've come to believe that my mother is a much much better person than I could ever be.  I buy and hide food from my children all the time.  (Let's be fair - I'm hiding it from the daddy too.)  It's become my little ritual at the end of each day to sit down with a tasty snack - some popcorn or Cadbury mini eggs or a cookie, but there's no husbanding of delicious snacky resources once the rest of my family find out about them.  On my own, I can make a bag of chocolate chip cookies last more than a week, but once everyone knows about them, they're gone within hours.  (Sunday is my sleep-in day each week, and I couldn't figure out where the chocolate chip cookies were going until I got out of bed to pee early one Sunday morning and discovered all three of them eating the cookies for breakfast.  And my husband accuses ME of being the permissive one.  Ha.)

At the moment, my reserves are dangerously low.  I have some caramels stashed in my closet, but my husband found the bag of mini eggs hidden above the stove, and they're long gone now.  He left me six.

What about you?  Do you squirrel away bits for yourself, or am I walking in my grandmother's greedy, selfish shoes?


4 comments:

  1. I don't hide any foods from Trev (he's less snacky than I am, unless it's a spicy dried meat product.)

    But I *do* have tasty foods that I can only eat when DM isn't awake, or is in another room.
    Never thought I'd be hiding in a dark kitchen trying to chug a can of dr. pepper because SHE WOULD BE HERE ANY MINUTE and she'd want it. Yet there I was....again and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the bells book?

    We have the opposite problem in my house. Mike has an 'out of sight out of mind' approach to snacks, so when we get home from a grocery trip, anything remotely snack-like must be left out on the counter for leisurely perusal and selection throughout the week. (Bearing in mind that bread also gets left out on the counter) It ends up looking like an episode of Hoarders and that we just don't bother putting anything away, just graze the counter top until it is time to start all over again.

    This drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't hide treats exactly, but there is a little box in the pantry that they voluntarily refrain from eating from. This is because they have learned from sad experience that if I go looking for chocolate in there and there isn't any, it will be a Bad Scene. The big guy returns the favour by hiding his junk food somewhere in the basement (which is where the TV is), but only because I asked him to, so I wouldn't eat it.

    I am also a big hypocrite, because my son asked if he could have a box in the pantry for treats too, and I have been known to eat things from it! He just shakes his head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hide mine in the mixer bowl. Kids can't see it. Hubby never looks at / touches the mixer!

    ReplyDelete