Friday, May 4, 2012

Someday

Someday, I'll have a basement that my son can actually go into, with a playroom for him where he can play on his own safely. It won't be filled with piles of crap, balanced precariously. I won't pull muscles trying to get to the laundry area or the freezer. I'll be able to see the carpet. The carpet won't have remnants of cat puke on it. (The cat has been dead since November 2010.) Everything will have a place, everything will be in its place. We will only keep what we need. There won't be garbage bags of clothing (Moe's, some too big, some too small) open and spilling out everywhere. Hell, there won't be boxes of garbage spilling out everywhere.

But right now, I'd settle for clean bedsheets.

4 comments:

  1. If you could see my bedroom right now...

    I feel the same way about most of my house at the moment. We've had two small construction projects on the go for the last six weeks or so, and the whole house has spiraled into chaos around them. Really, there's no reason that the whole place should have come to this kind of disaster, but here we are. I despair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take a photo of my basement, just so that you would feel better about yours, but I honestly don't think I can get in and out of there safely right now, and I am the only adult home with two sleeping kids, and I don't have one of those LifeAlert thingies.

    Also, I'd be taking a picture of someone else's stuff. It's ALL P's stuff. Mine is in storage offsite, a luxury that is costing us near-usurious sums on a monthly basis. Because it's not my stuff, I can't even tackle it during the rare times -- like now -- that I have the opportunity to do so. But P can't ever get to it either, because the second he gets home I'm all "Okay, here are the kids, tag, you're it."

    I was hoping to have a finished basement for next winter. It hurts my heart to write "was" instead of "am."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every once in a while I'm glad that we don't have much space because it stops us from acquiring things too quickly - my basement would make yours look like a football field of emptiness if I had one....

    and Jeni - I feel ya. My husband is a worse packrat than I am, but I can't deal with his stuff (needs to be carefully sorted and assessed!) and he never has time to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a storage room, the size of a your guest bedroom. It currently has one square foot of walkable space in it. One.

    Long distance internet high fives.

    B.
    (Whom most of you know from Ottawa, 1996-2001 and who is paranoid about her first name being google-able by her teenager, esp if I'm going to rant about him)

    ReplyDelete