Monday, May 7, 2012

The high cost of saving

Like most one-income families, we do our best to economize where we can, and since I'm in charge of pretty much all of the household shopping, that boils down to cheaper cuts of meat, cheese mainly when it's on sale, and this week, off-brand pull-ups when I couldn't find any diapers in Trouble's size that were on sale.

(For the record, I CANNOT wait for this child to get over his discomfort at using the toilet.  After four and a half years of being a mom, I've had my fill of other people's excreta, and might very well throw a party when Trouble finally toilet trains for real and I can throw away the toothbrush that I use for scrubbing escaped poops out of clothing.)

I had some concerns when I first tried the off-brand pull-ups - the elastic around the leg seemed awfully loose.  They were what I had at hand though, and I wasn't about to let them go to waste, so we've been using them.  My concerns about their structural stability didn't occur to me this morning when I saw Trouble assume his favoured pooping position (feet apart, knees slightly bent, hands braced on the entertainment stand, hilarious grimace on his face), or even when I noticed the ungainly bulge in the back of his pants (lumpy and slightly to the left).  It wasn't until I started to change him that I realized that fully one third of what was in his pants wasn't in his pull-up.  Not my ideal way to start the week.

So, lesson learned.  The $3.00 I saved on the off-brand pull-ups was NOT worth the cost in human misery associated with scrubbing feces out of green fleece pants with a toothbrush at 7:30 on a Monday morning.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to buy some Pull-Ups® Training Pants.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, lady. What a crappy way to start the week. Pun semi-intended.

    I'm too much of a brand whore to buy anything than the tried-and-tested-pooped-in-and-contained diapers we always buy. But I do hear you on the cheap cheese.

    ReplyDelete