Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Parenting, Pinterest ... conflict of interest?


Full disclosure: I'm on the fence where Pinterest is concerned. 

I'm inclined to think that Pinterest is like power: can be used for (self-congratulatory) good or (competency-comparing) evil.  We've already got so many other things to blame ourselves for, let's not add gee-dee toilet paper wreaths to the list, is what I'm saying.  Unless toilet paper wreaths really make your day, in which case I full encourage you to wave that freaky bum wipe flag.

I do agree with Jaimie's community tagline, though – in my head, it's a manifesto; can we make it a manifesto? – namely, "Parenting rarely looks like a Pinterest board."

Maybe you don't know what Pinterest is … and if that is so, oh MAN, do you ever need Pinterest.  I can almost guarantee that the rock under which you are living could use better lighting, fresh new window/crack treatments, maybe an inviting area rug or two (ferns are scratchy and those spore things on the underside scare the living crap out of me).  I invite you to check out the site, and forewarn that you are likely to lose 100 or so hours of your life to it.  But you owe it to yourself to get a little educated about the hottest social media property since Jesse Eisenberg's pet project.  Before your own mom sends you an invitiation.

To honour this blog's manifestagline – see what I did there? – I thought I'd outline in greater detail some of the ways in which parenting does not look like a Pinterest board.  I'll get you started with five.  Feel free to top up the list via the comment section below.

5. Pinterest is rife with projects requiring something called Mod Podge.  Best I can tell – and I used it on this project – Mod Podge is a fancy name for white glue.  Here are three things you can do with fancy white glue: make a custom doormat, funkify a suitcase, create the unholy union of margarita and candleholderHere is one thing, a staple feature of parenting, that you cannot (should not?) do with fancy white glue.

4. Pinterest is also a repository of some amazing vintage finds.  I love, love, love 50s-era styling, but that era was not flattering to children (seriously, does that baby not look like it would promise to never, ever poop again if you would just please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE OFF THIS BERET?!).  And if you think Pinterest can win with more modern kids' clothing?  You would be wrong, friend. 

Okay, I think Jaimie's beef with Pinterest relates mostly to the kid-focused pins.  Here are two parenting-incompatible issues I take with the site:

3. Pinterest assumes that your children like having crap all over their hands.  That ear-splitting shriek you assumed was your neighbour being stabbed?  That was my toddler when I had the audacity to think he might want to play with shaving foam.  He did NOT want to play with shaving foam.  He didn't much care for the mess-free version, either.

2. Pinterest assumes your children understand the difference between edible and inedible play objects.  I'm lucky in that neither of my kids developed a taste for rainbow rice, but I'll admit that I watch them pretty closely while they play with it, lest my 10-month-old end up riding in the back of an ambulance like some kind of gluttonous post-nuptial pigeon

That brings me to the #1 way in which parenting does not look like a Pinterest board:

1. Pinterest is pretty.  It is not sleep-deprived, it is not moody and hormonal.  Pinterest is infinitely patient; it does not snap at toddlers who preface every statement with "I don't like …"  Pinterest wouldn't know post-partum depression from link rot.  Pinterest does not have cracked nipples.  Parenting involves all manner of disgusting bodily fluids – Pinterest does not (unless there is some kind of hard core kink board I haven't stumbled across yet). 

But they do have this in common, and I would be remiss if I didn't at least acknowledge it in passing: Pinterest and parenting can both inspire you, and as much as they can drain you, they can, in the blink of an eye, fill you up again. 

Parenting rarely looks like a Pinterest board … but sometimes it does … and that's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment