Friday, April 13, 2012

"I ate my healthy thing first!"

At our house, we usually have two desserts after supper. The first is "healthy dessert" and is usually a piece of fruit or a yogurt tube. The second is "unhealthy dessert" and is almost always chocolate in some form.

Tonight, we've just finished having tacos for supper (and jello for dessert - we pretty much just skipped healthy dessert tonight) when my 4-year-old daughter wanders into the kitchen and picks up an extra taco shell.

"Mom, I'd like my unhealthy dessert now, but first I'm going to eat this!".

So I wash some of the dishes while they finish up eating, and I come out of the kitchen with the Kinder Eggs that are both unhealthy dessert tonight, and a bribe from last night that got the 2-y-o and the 4-y-o sleeping in their own bunk beds again. I hand the egg to my son and then lean over to hand my daughter hers, but she still has taco shell in her hand. I can see the grease glistening on her fingers where they hold the probably gmo-corn chip. She finishes the shell, picks up her egg, and proudly exclaims, "I ate my healthy thing first!".

At some point, we'll talk about why taco shells aren't actually healthy, but that night won't be tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment